Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Minor League Draft

I am involved in a 6X6, HR, R, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG,QS(Quality Starts), K, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP, with daily transactions, 2000 IP minimum, 40 man rosters (35 active) with a 20 man minor league roster. Over the next few weeks I am going to profile our minor league draft commenting on the best/worst picks in my opinion. My picks will be in bold and italics

Round 1
1. Matt Wieters, Baltimore Orioles
2. David Price, Tampa Bay Rays
3. Cameron Maybin, Florida Marlins
4. Travis Snider, Toronto Blue Jays
5. Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves
6. Pedro Alvarez, Pittsburgh Pirates
7. Colby Rasmus, St. Louis Cardinals
8. Tommy Hanson, Atlanta Braves
9. Justin Smoak, Texas Rangers
10. Tim Beckham, Tampa Bay Rays
11. Gordon Beckham, Chicago White Sox
12. Matt Laporta, Cleveland Indians
13. Mike Moustakas, Kansas City Royals
14. Madison Bumgarner, San Francisco Giants

I had the 3rd pick and I was praying that somehow Wieters or Price would slip but my prayers were not answered. In went into the draft looking to bolster my OF and C positions as they were my weakest. Looking back at the draft, I picked more on my current needs over the best overall prospect that was available. I think Heyward is going to be the best OF prospect in this draft but Maybin is close behind and will get playing time starting in 2009 which is what I need. Maybin has 30/30 potential but he has to reduce his K rate to maintain his position as the lead off batter for the Marlins. There were no real stretches in this round, so it is hard to select a worst pick, but the player I would never draft, in the first round, is Colby Rasmus from the Cardinals. With the #6 position I would have selected Justin Smoak from Texas instead who projects like Mark Teixeira. Tim Beckman, selected #10 was the first pick in last June's draft by the Rays, has a couple of road blocks in his way to the majors with the great season from Bartlett and with the Rays having Reid Brignac at AAA. I had no need for a pitcher in round 1 as I have Webb, Sabathia, Joba, Johan Santana, and Papelbon my roster but I think Tommy Hanson has the potential to have a John Smoltz type career.

Other News:
Podcast with Jeff Erickson and John Sickels discussing Minor League prospects

No comments: