Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gamel and Reimold Get the Call

Matt Gamel (Brewers) and Nolan Reimold (Baltimore) have been promoted to the majors. Both of these guys are off to blazing starts in AAA and should be considered in deep fantasy leagues. With interleague play coming up, the Brewers will probably use Gamel as the DH and see how he takes to MLB pitching. The Orioles have some injury concerns with Adam Jones and Luke Scott so Reimold will get plenty of ABs early and he could stick around if he performs well. The knock on Gamel is that he has bricks for hands at 3B but he can rake with the best of them. This sounds very similar to when the Brewers called another butcher of a 3B who could hit......Ryan Bruan. I think the success of Braun will create interest in Gamel. Below are the YTD stats for both players

Gamel- .336 with 8 HR, 31 RBI, 1.075 OPS and he is hitting .425 vs LHP.
Reimold- .394 with 9 HR, and has 6 SBs.

Random Rant of the Day:
It bothers me that the Giants intentionally walked Zimmerman in the 7th inning in the middle of a 30 game hit streak. I fully understand that the Giants are trying to win the game and Zimmerman is the best hitter in the line-up but there are unwritten rules like don't bunt late in the game if the other pitcher has a no-hitter and there are others. Zimmerman got another AB and his streak was snapped at 30 games, so now there is no reason to check Washington's boxscores.

Twitter:
I am a self proclaimed fantasy news whore and I have found a new channel to feed my obession and that is Twitter. Twitter was foregin to me until Mnday when I kept seeing it all over ESPN and decided to see what the hell it is. To my surprise you can get all kinds of instant info from this site. You sign on to "follow" certain people and you recieve their messages throughout the day. The article here, from Hardball Times, list some of the best baseball sites to follow. Here is the site that compiles all the sports figures that use Twittwer

Who am I Answer??
The winless prospect that I was refering to was Msx Scherzer. This really surprised me becuase I assumed that he got a W got he busted on the scene last season. Scherzer averages more pitches per batter then any other pitcher in the National League.

Other News:
Lackey and Erv are joining Angels rotation
Manny drops appeal
MLB.com clip with Strasburg
No Structural Damage for Soria

Later this week I am writing a detailed post about David Ortiz and his terrible start to the season. If you have suggestions or comments emial me at www.futurefirstrounder@gmail.com or leave a message in the comment field.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this site is just awesome. I quit my job and follow it all day long. If I can suggest a topic, I would ask you do a piece on how bad ass the Lotocki's Legends will be, come the second half of the season.